Why Rain Barrels?
Collecting rainwater and storing it in a rain barrel can help offset drinking water used for outdoor purposes. Using rainwater helps reduce the amount of pollution which flows into nearby storm drains, sewers and waterways and then eventually into the ocean. Rain barrels also contribute in making sure that local water supplies are being used more efficiently.
West Basin is committed to reducing the region's reliance on imported water supplies. The District encourages customers to utilize local water sources such as rainwater, whenever possible.
Free Rain Barrel Distribution Events
West Basin provides eligible residents in the service area with an alternative way to use water resourcefully.
Each rain barrel includes a 2-3’ flexible downspout, water hose connector, overflow fitting, and built-in mosquito screen. Barrels are made from recycled food barrels, and may be available in black or terra cotta colors.
Product Dimensions (approximate): 24 inches wide x 40 inches tall; 16 pounds; 55 gallon capacity.
Please note: Rain barrels are distributed on a first come, first serve basis. Pre-registration does not guarantee a rain barrel. Please bring an appropriate size vehicle to transport rain barrel.
Program Eligibility and Guidelines:
Participants in the rain barrel distribution program must meet the following requirements and follow all guidelines below:
1. Must be a resident in West Basin’s service area.
2. Limit two (2) rain barrels per household, while supplies last. This may be reduced, based upon demand.
3. Rain Barrel must be installed within 30 days, and may be subject to verification and inspection by West Basin and or the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
4. Recipients must email photo(s) of installed rain barrel(s) within 30 days of receiving barrel(s). Email: GusM@westbasin.org.
5. The rain barrel must be mounted in a way that allows it to receive water unimpeded from a rain gutter.
6. Should not block or restrict access to walkways or pathways.
7. Should be elevated six (6) inches off the ground with a cinder block or another solid foundation.
8. Should be secured in place with straps for safety.
9. Home must be equipped with rain gutters and downspout(s).
2018-2019 Event Calendar and Registration
Advance registration for a distribution event is required. To register for an upcoming event, please register online HERE. For any additional questions about the rain barrel program, please call (310) 371-4633.
Click below for a Rain Barrel Painting Guide:
In addition to the distribution events that West Basin coordinates, rebates for the purchase of rain barrels and cisterns are also available from Metropolitan. Learn more about the available rebates.